a simple question on complicated feelings

Thursday, January 31, 2019


Some of the best realisations I've come to were from having asked the right questions. The day I needed it the most, I recalled the time I was asked this particular one. It was a months-old memory of the time I came out from a rather peculiar appointment for a bent finger and spent the afternoon walking down unknown streets and sharing heartfelt conversations with N. 

"I haven't seen you much lately," N had said.

This was true. We lived no more than a five minutes' walk away from each other and I had seen her less in those first few weeks of our sixth semester than I had in the weeks when we lived from each other a thirty minutes' walk away.

"I know," I had replied, and the words had landed with a thud, sounding heavy because they were. They had carried in them, after all, the weight of many things left unspoken. All of which, in the next moment, I had let out in a mad tumble.

"I'm trying to focus more on university work this semester. I have fixed schedules for each day, balancing work and rest. I don't have a lot of free time to see you guys often..." And on and on rolled the excuses, each with a nod of the head and a fiercely justified expression. N had taken them all in as they came out, and had given, as I finished, a space for silence.

And then, came her question: "And you're okay with that?"

At this, a rush of thoughts had greeted me: the time and energy I was spending on my studies were paying off - I was, as I'd intended, more focused on university work. I was getting all the rest I needed and all the space for myself that I craved. Things were going well. Of course I was okay, I thought. Everything else was.

Almost everything else.

The day before, in a fit of panic, I had reached out to N and the rest of the group to explain the situation I was in: trigger finger, x-rays, ultrasounds, and the like; my worries written in texts that built themselves up in great big stacks. It was only after having shouldered all of these for about a week that I had reached out to them. And I knew, very well, that I had not been okay then.

And it wasn't the breakdown I was starting to feel the beginnings of or the assignment with the deadline that was fast approaching. It wasn't these, nor was it the trigger finger agenda.

It was that I was alone through it all. It was that I carried the weight of all of these on my own, having not left, in my strict scheduling and fixed routines, time and space to be with the people I so strongly needed with me at the time. It was the homesickness that gnawed at me and would settle if I weren't filling up my time with the work. And the being away from the people I loved that made it very much not okay.

I might have told N this at the time, or might have pretended otherwise. But what I remember was that, at the end of the afternoon of a rather peculiar appointment, our walking down unknown streets and our heartfelt conversations, I spent that night having dinner with N and the rest of the group, soaking in their concerns and words of comfort.

I didn't notice that a realisation, following N's question, was already in the works then. Only now, belatedly, had it come to me.

And it is this: that things might have come together the way I had planned then and they had seemed and even felt to me, in the surface, perfectly okay. And maybe they were, at some level. But they weren't what truly mattered to me nor were they what I strongly valued.

Because what I value are the things I love, and the people I love. I value the feelings and emotions that come with the things I do with my time (whether or not those things were productive or regarded highly by others). I value quality bonds and heartfelt conversations; having the right questions asked and coming to the best of realisations. And it is in all this - in the things that I value and hold to myself dearest - that I've found that I am, finally, honestly, perfectly okay with.



a simple question on complicated feelings, an epilogue + some questions & reflections 🎕

I'm currently on a break from university and so, I have had a lot of free time. I get caught up on questions of what to do, what I'm actually doing and what I should be doing instead - less because I'm not happy with what I'm spending my time on but more because I felt that I 'should' be doing other things instead. How I was doing mentally didn't get enough attention. But our mental health needs the attention. And sometimes, it takes having the right questions be asked to get the ball rolling. N brought my attention to how I was feeling when I needed it the most and I am so deeply thankful to her for it. And when I found myself the other day feeling low about presumably doing "nothing" on my university break, this was the memory that came up.

I think back to this memory and realise that it is so important to look within yourself and with how you're doing/feeling. There is more than what's on the surface - i.e. feelings, thoughts and emotions that are so important to pay attention to. And if you take a moment to ask yourself the right questions (e.g. "how do you feel about this?"), a lot can become clear. And when I ask myself this question now, on how I feel about being on a break from university, I am pretty content. I've made peace, Alhamdulillah, with having the time and space to do the things I love and value now. And I wouldn't have been able to do this if it weren't for asking myself this question and really taking the time to pay attention to how I'm feeling.

How about you? Take a moment and check in with yourself - how are you feeling today?

With love, Iween

🎕

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Dear Iween, I knew I missed something and dang it was i right. I should've check.I wonder if blogs can update reader about its update?

    Putting that aside, I love this post. It really brought me to tears (and not a good idea because im currently sitting in the staffroom) and it warmed me (the room is super cold).

    I love how your series of reflection and questions on productivity lead you to reminisce this piece of precious memories. And im so glad it went that way, Alhamdulillah.

    No matter how hard I try, I cant really try and imagine how it is like to be so faraway from home. Arguably I did for 4 weeks and I was a grumpy kid HAHAHAH but yknow i wasnt sure if it was because I am an introvert and rejected going out often. But while in Korea, I had more free time than I did back at home HAHAH, i mean we only have few classes minus the time i got dragged out of the dorm or to find food.

    So the thing is imagining balancing those heavy workload and schedule with your own need while being overseas is far from me. It must’ve been really hard but you're a strong one and I know that.

    If i were to say what I understand of difficulty in coping up was to lose familiarity which is during the first year in university while not having Ana there with me (and yes, i can argue she is like home) and you guys as well. I was lost and I didnt know why I was there, holding a scholarship at that. I couldnt accept it and while i made such a nice group of friends I still felt lonely. Because all we ever had was small talks and it took a toll on me even if I did had fun. And I'd often proceed to excuse myself to cry in the small prayer room. But that wasn’t really the end of it, I remembered forcing myself to go along with the flow. I think I had the idea that I need to be more outgoing, to be more of a person fitting to be a scholar recipient.

    But I learned as time progress-even if it took me several semesters to do so- that I am not exactly looking for my own cause. I had attended few motivational talk in the past few years, joining clubs and even lead one all believing it’d be a good thing for me. On one hand I do agree and it did provide the growth Alhamdulillah, but on the other forcing my way like that was pretty bad.

    I went off-side there oops. But man, the way your post made me reflect is just so wonderful <3 especially having that one section where you are encouraging the readers to do so.

    Dear Iween, I love reading these bits of your life that had happened when you are faraway. Tbh we are still faraway now despite living in the same country and district. So that’s why reading these are really nice, for me to know the you who has grown over the years and for me to understand the things you cherish and values.

    Dear Iween, may these things you cherish and value continue to grow along with you.

    Lots of love
    Ani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It breaks my heart to think that there was that huge loss you felt when Ana was away in your first year of university. It is so easy to go with the flow and try your hardest to sort of fill in the spaces left by things that matter (i.e. filling up your free time with work so that you don't feel lonely or having idle talk in place of the bigger conversations that you actually really would like to be having instead). Sometimes filling in those spaces can feel like you've got things sorted, somehow, even when the truth is that it might be affecting you mentally - i.e. affecting how you're feeling or affecting the values that really matter to you and yes, as you said, doing this really takes it toll. we just need to take moments to check in with ourselves, I think. And as Muslims, our five prayers are times for us to check in ourselves, too, I think.

      Thank you so much, Ani, for your love and support and encouragements always. I'm so thankful that you're here <3 Alhamdulillah.

      Delete

Subscribe