tales of a fleeting spring

Tuesday, December 05, 2017


It was strange, the girl thought.

Before her was a boy she had only met moments ago, yet something about him the girl found familiar.

She felt it the moment the boy first spoke. For it was then that the tether holding him back before had come undone. And when he spoke of a place called Never Land, his was the palpable energy the girl felt reflected deep within her bones.

"Never Land," she said aloud, the word almost a sigh. The boy turned to her with a smile. "I remember Never Land."

She had only ever seen the place in her dreams, only ever known it through the stories she grew up being told. And as the thought of the fairies and mermaids of Never Land came rushing to her mind, the strange feeling was there once more.

She looked to the boy whom she'd known from the stories she grew up with, and stories she herself had told. And only then did she realise that she was as familiar with Never Land as she was with the boy.

He's just like the stories, the girl thought. And with a glance out the window, she knew, so too would Never Land be.


a brief reimagining of Disney's Peter Pan #2





Spring came in bearing the windy trail of a passed Winter.


The first day of September, I dressed myself in the brightest of colours. My then quiet anticipation of Spring spoke out in the hues of red rust and pretty plums that I wore. It was as if it were our first meeting all over again. And it almost was.

Her approach was slow and subtle. Weeks of 17 degrees' billowing winds and dark skies later did I finally come to realise that traces of Winter were still in the air. Spring was yet to truly come. But that was, perhaps, simply part of what I was only now learning to be the art of changing seasons.



I won't be here for long, I told her as I walked alongside the bushes that lined the pathway to University. Here, there were the very firsts of her blossoms - the bushes were dotted with white flowers and their sweet scents lingered in the air as I passed.

I didn't realise this until later, but I carried a goodbye with me everywhere I went in the days of the beginning Spring, knowing I'd give it to her in one of the days I knew she would finally settle.

Until then, I would stay and I would listen to the chirps of the birds that came along to greet her. It was in their songs and their colours, louder than I had been in my welcome, that I knew we shared a love of her beauty. So together, we watched it unfold.

She brought in with her ripples of an almost scorching heat. Slowly, the dark skies were replaced with that of a magnificent shade of blue. And day by day, I'd watch the sun set long after their previous hours, and felt the morning stretch out by minutes and more.

It was a wonderful feeling, seeing the once bare trees in the distance becoming filled with the purple blossoms of Jacarandas, knowing that she was shifting into what I knew her to be. And when I walked in the petal-strewn streets and heard the crunches of leaves that sat mingled in their midst, it was in the rush of ease and calm washing in that it hit me - it was just like I remembered; she was just like I remembered.

Those moments, I held on to, knowing she was at her best there and then.

Because the moment I finally bid her my goodbye, she brought out the clouds and the rain.

Hers was a cry I would find myself listening to in the passenger seat of a car being driven to the airport the morning of October the 30th. That same day, I told her, it would be yesterweeks' Spring blue, paths shrouded in yellow and purple petals, and wafting scents of white flowers that I'd remember of her. It'd be all the tales I'd known about her before, and tales I'd write later that I'd love her for. Because our story might have been that of a fleeting spring, but I would never be a fleeting lover.


this post was originally written as part of Darling December, a month-long creative experimental series on Wendystruck (2017).
With love, Iween.

🎕

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Waalaikumussalam,
    ONE WORD IWEEN-actually make that four- I AM IN LOVE.
    Honestly I dont know how you do it. Each and every of your post that made it past the "publish' icon is making me fall in love over and over again.

    And THIS is no exception when I smiled from the start of the letter to the last. I'm sure I have told you this before, your words-they sang to me-and I'd like to believe this is probably (and goodness!) the closest I would ever be to experience spring in my life (unless ada rezeki insyaAllah-but that aside, this is just me saying how beautiful this post is).

    I hope with all my heart that you for one are enjoying writing this cause thats the most important bits you must never forget yeah?

    Love,
    Aniyuuki

    ReplyDelete
  2. AW ANI YOU WORDS MOVE ME TO TEARS. Masha Allah, Alhamdulillah, thank you once again <3

    May we all get to experience the beauty of changing seasons in our lifetime, In sha Allah. hehe.

    SO MUCH LOVE FOR YOU ALWAYS <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wa'alaikumsalam,
    Here I am finally able to catch up with your 'Darlings December'. Ani told me of it, but I postponed it a bit to a time.
    And here I am in the bus, on my way to the airport(To London), reading.
    And I believe I never spent a bus journey so well. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, thank youu. So sweet huhu

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe